Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Holiday baby!

Well, I finally got our Christmas cards from Shutterfly -- featuring Annika, of course, and my brain-fried choice of black text on a brown background (ehhh, I was typing it into what I thought was a white text box ... whatever, it's readable even if it doesn't pop!) -- and sent a bunch of them off yesterday. The photo is so cute, and the cards turned out really nice. Gone are the days when I had time to handwrite a note on all of them ... eesh. 

Anyhoo, Annika's Grandpa & Grandma M. are in town for awhile, and they have all three been enjoying each other's company hugely. And meanwhile, the pace of discovery keeps charging ahead: 

--She's saying "Thank you!" now ("dak-koo!"), and seems to like handing people stuff so they'll say it, and taking it back so she can say it. "Please" is next, of course -- heh. 

--Not that she doesn't love knocking over stacks of things -- because she does, she's like Godzilla in Tokyo! -- but she's now discovered the fun of stacking them in the first place. She makes towers of the blocks our friends I&K gave her for her birthday, and piles of pretty much anything else; she spent a good half hour stacking, unstacking and restacking a bunch of her board books tonight, every once in awhile applauding herself for a particularly fetching arrangement. 

--She's taken to standing around with one or both hands on her hips, deciding what mayhem to get into next -- it is beyond hilarious what that looks like! I think she may have gotten it from me (I do spend a fair amount of time looking for my own mind, after all ...), but who knows with this here baby!

--The greatest thing lately, though, just happened today: She asked specifically for the food she wanted! At lunch, I asked if she wanted more sweet potatoes, and held up the Tupperware I was getting the little cubes from; she looked at it, thought for a second, and said "apple?" with a searching look toward the kitchen countertop. I said, "You want apple?" and she repeated "apple!", clearly psyched that I got her meaning. So I got her some apple bits (she had LOVED them at breakfast), and she ate those till she couldn't eat anymore, and then -- proving it wasn't just a fluke -- she said "teess?" R. and I were like, "Teess? That doesn't sound like 'done' or 'down,'" (which she says when she's finished eating). She said it again, with that one-hand-clapping gesture and a look toward the fridge, and I said "Could she be saying cheese?" Her enthusiastic reaction to that was the confirmation -- she wanted a pack of string cheese! Wow! So she did the same type of thing again at dinner (and ate half a can of green beans, pretty much the only green thing she's really liked) -- awesome new development! It's just so much fun seeing the way her mind puts things together, and to watch how fast it's happening. Yay baby!

PS: She doesn't really get that it's Christmas time, but she loves the lights and the obviously different schedule around here, and she was almost as thrilled as I was by the outdoor decor of our neighbors' house one street over toward the ocean -- she loved the moving lighted deer shapes, and I just about died laughing at the leg lamp in the window. FRA-GEE-LAY -- that must be Italian! :-) 

1 Comments:

At December 24, 2008 at 10:45 AM , Blogger Moms said...

Sky loves the crazy house on 6th ave. It isn't like the Grizwald's, but rather they have their own kind of holiday crazy going on. The Smitty's all love it! No leg lamp though:(

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home